Saturday, October 15, 2011

Slime Time - Striper Fishing - Into Another Realm

SLIME TIME – Striper Fishing – Into Another Realm

Striped bass, striper, rock fish, whatever it is you want to call it, is by fart he most elusive fish to inhabit these waters. But it’s still just another stupid fish.

Walk into any local bait shop and look at the photos on the fridge and be intimidated by rumors and bullcrap. Stripers are easy to catch if the right procedures are followed, and many are caught by accident.

But if you really want to catch striper you have to fish for them as an isolated type of fish. It’s not like you go fishing and get whatever you can.

When I’m striper fishing I’m into another realm.

Everything I do is exclusively to catch stripers. From my disposition to the rods and reels, hooks, baits and lures. I’m Bassin!

Without a good rod and line the battle has ended before it begins: the bass has won again.

The ability to cast a big hunk of shedder or eel accurately depends on two things – the rod itself and your physical strength and stamina.

Should I ever find a lighter graphite rod to do the job of my old ugly stick I would own it and use it. The casting ability of this rod is near perfect on a normal night. Throwing a hundred casts a night with eels is not unusual and fifty to a hundred casts a night using shedder is the norm.

My reel is an old workhorse – a green Penn 712 spooled up with 17 lb string. I also have a line release attached to the rod and 31” of the tip section is painted white for easier vision, day or night.

As for lead, I hate using sinkers about as much as a striper does chasing them around, so when I do use lead, I keep it as light as possible.

I would rather back off another 20 – 30 yards to use a lighter rig to get into a target area. Using shedder I snap on a 1/8 – ¾ bass casting sinkers.

Using eels I run the line through a barrel sinker and then to the swivel. This way a bass can take the eel without feeling the resistance of the lead.

The heavy sinkers are only good for hitting wave running jet ski scum.

No comments:

Post a Comment