Saturday, October 15, 2011

Anecdote - Incident at Hagens Pond

INCIDENT AT HAGENS POND

Adrian Isard and I had been fishing various places. Once again we returned to Hogans Pond. The year before there were a lot of 15 inch and a few longer pickerel. We worked the back of the small lake, making our way towards the dam.

The dike had something unusual protruding from the west end. A large mound with a canal, obviously made by some animal, now occupied a large area of the dike. As we were examining this strange structure, across the lake, I noticed a wake with a had of sorts swimming towards us. Not wanting to spook the creature, we hid behind the large mound.

It wasn’t long before the creature disappeared behind the dike. Adrian’s curiosity took over and he began to craw towards the dam. About a third or fourth time Adrian stretched his neck out to try to get a closer look at the creature, the pond monster decided to stretch its head out also, so there they were, about two feet apart, eye to eye.

The creature let out some kind of bark and Adrian let out some kind of yell, the monster splashed back into the lake and Adrian fell backwards into the water on the back side of the dam.
|
I was roaring with laughter as Adrian grappled his way up to the top of the dike.

Adiran dried himself off, as I pointed to the two otters now across the lake. They were living off the large pickerel we were fishing for, which explained the lack of them. I’ve never gone back to Hagens Pond, but every time I drive by there I think of the picture in my mind of the man and beast a couple of feet apart, and the few seconds after, will last forever in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment