Saturday, October 15, 2011

Spy vs. Fish

SPY Vs. FISH

I’m going to pretend that I’m a stranger to this area, and I’m fishing unknown territory so I’m going in like it’s a military operation.

The very first thing I’m going to find is a chart and find a quiet place to scrutinize it. The chart will give me the general layout of the area.

If I have a boat, the ramps would be the first thing I would look for.

Second, I would already have determined exactly what I would be fishing for and exactly what type of structures they inhabit. With the exception of flounder and kingfish, I would target the bridges. Weakfish, sea bass, stripers and perch all hang around bridges. And if they’re moving, they got to funnel through the bridges to get in or out of the channel.

The chart will show me where the ramps are, where the bridges are, the water depths, including the channels, bars and flats and access bridges to piers, beaches and bulkheads. You can usually get a good chart at any marina or bait and tackle shop, and its at the bait and tackle shop where you get more than bait and tackle, you get information.

Realizing that while most bait shop owners just don’t have a lot of time to fish, their customers do. Don’t be in a hurry, brouse, look around and most importantly listen. Keep your mouth shut and act stupid. I’ve learned that the dumber I act the more information I get.

Sometimes I hit a number of bait shops, and watch for what the regulars buy for bait, rather than what they pawn off to the shoobs. My stops would be brief, just long enough t to find out what kind of bait they’re selling to whom. Sometimes I buy a few bobbers to show my stupidity to those who might feel threatened by my stupid questions.

Six AM in the morning is a good time to find the nearest café to the bait shop and have a cup of coffee. Just sit quietly, drink your coffee, keep your mouth shut and listen to the local chatter. You’ll pick up a pretty good fishing report from the locals themselves without even asking. But whatever you do, don’t ask the stupidest question.

Rule #1. Never ask a local exactly where to fish. That is a direct threat. Act stupid, keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. Get an updated and accurate chart, develop a good idea of what’s going on and where, find out what kind of bait to use and study the target area near the bridges. Pick a set of moon phases, check the tides, grab your gear and Go! Go! Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment