Saturday, October 15, 2011

Reels - Penn

Penn. For a reel I recommend a Penn 5500 spinning reel - graphite light. I only use Penn reels. This may sound hard, cold and narrow minded, and I fully realize some of the Jap reels with their bait runners are a little more versatile, but they would never stand up to the abuse that my Penns take.

Furthermore, they’re made in Philadelphia, and spare parts are readily available should the need arise.

As I do all my maintenance on all my gear myself, I serve them with a little grease, and I’m set for worry free fishin’. I do carry an extra bail spring in my wallet just in case, which I can change in the dark in about one minute.

I’ve seen the sullen smirks and have heard the muffled snickers when I’ve encountered those who insist on supporting Japan and their line of complicated junk. I’ve seen them take a hard look at my old 712 covered with slime. This old piece of American fishing history has already caught over 3,000 stripers and is finely getting broken in.

No comments:

Post a Comment