Saturday, October 15, 2011

Barnsey's Anecdotes

BLUEFISH TALE

Jimmie Smartly, Dave and myself made our way up to Rock Point at the mouth of the River.

The weather was perfect – cloudy, light rain and windless.

I had promised them stripers and stripers we had as the first Rebel was stopped in a swirl. I’m guessing that we had over 50 bass between us that day. We did them all with plugs.

The scourge of the day were the bluefish we encountered. A dozen or so blues, from three to six pounds were in a cooler. Jimmie took all the blues to eat.

A couple of days later I ran into Jim again. He offered me a container that held the bluefish salad. Not quite what I expected. I exclaimed to Jim as I handed him the empty container back. Not quite what I expected I’m thinking now, as the blue in the box is going to be used for that salad.

The tricks here are to remove the darkest meat and discard it. Cut the filets into large pieces. A large pot of boiling water, along with a cup of vinegar and some salt. The chunks cook in three to five minutes. To check, remove a large piece, stick a fork in it. Remove the fork, If blood shows in the punctures, give it more time. A cold wash in a colander and the meat is ready for the salad.

Hell, maybe I’ll make some striper salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment